Tooth extraction is a commonly performed procedure that can restore oral health in patients who have suffered advanced tooth infection, an accident, or tooth impaction. Our doctors will explore conservative treatments before recommending tooth extraction at our Sumter, SC, dental clinic. If a tooth extraction is the best solution, you can benefit from Palmetto Family and Cosmetic Dentistry's use of gentle techniques and state-of-the-art dental technology.
In some cases, tooth extraction may be the best way to restore your oral health.
Benefits of Tooth Extraction
Although our priority is the preservation of natural dental tissue, extraction is sometimes the best means of resolving oral health issues. By undergoing tooth extraction at our practice, you can expect to experience:
- A brighter, more attractive smile: Advanced decay and damage often require extraction. Once the compromised tooth is removed, you will be eligible for a number of restorative options that can enhance the appearance of your smile.
- Prevention: The removal of wisdom teeth is often performed to prevent teeth crowding, infection, and other issues. If you have a severely decayed tooth, extraction can also prevent infection of surrounding tissues.
- Relief: Issues requiring tooth extraction are frequently painful. We can use extraction to provide virtually immediate relief.
- Comfortable care: Tooth extraction is performed using local anesthesia for your comfort. We also provide sedation upon request.
- Candidacy for orthodontics: If your teeth are too crowded, we may recommend extracting one or more teeth in order to help you achieve proper alignment with Invisalign®.
Am I a Candidate?
Extraction may be recommended in order to resolve:
- Advanced gum disease
- Advanced dental decay
- A fractured tooth
- An impacted tooth
- Severe overcrowding
- A failed root canal
You can depend on our Sumter practice to explore more conservative options before recommending a tooth extraction procedure. For example, if you are suffering from advanced tooth decay, but the exterior of the tooth appears to be able to stand alone, we may recommend a root canal.
Making each and every patient feel at ease is one of our top priorities.
A Look at the Procedure
Before your tooth is extracted at our Sumpter office, one of our doctors will numb the treatment area using local anesthesia. A special tool will be used to gently loosen and remove your tooth. If a molar is being removed, it may need to be separated into small pieces to ensure that the surrounding gum tissue is not damaged. If you plan on receiving a dental implant, bone grafting material may be placed in the tooth socket.
The final step involves suturing any incisions that were made and placing gauze over the surgical site to control bleeding. You should rest for the remainder of the day and follow the recovery guidelines provided.
Contact Us Today
Our staff always goes the extra mile to ensure our patients’ comfort. Making each and every patient feel at ease is one of our top priorities. If you are experiencing a sudden onset of pain or other symptoms of a dental complication, contact our clinic immediately. You can reach our office by contacting our Sumter practice online or calling (803) 773-5411.