- In This Section
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Bonding
- Teeth Whitening
- Smile Makeover
- Gum Contouring
A gummy smile can compromise the uniformity and overall look of your smile. Fortunately, gum contouring can correct an uneven gum line and deliver a more balanced and symmetrical appearance. Our soft tissue laser technology serves as an efficient, pain-free way to remove excess gum tissue. At Palmetto Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Sumter, SC, Drs. Thaddeus H. Vincent, Jr., David M. Van Patten, and William T. Noonan, Jr. use this highly effective procedure to elongate the teeth and reshape the gum tissue.
Exploring the Benefits of Gum Contouring
Gum contouring is one of the most common cosmetic treatments in dentistry today. Very few corrective procedures can offer such dramatic results. For example, gum contouring:
- Can be used to remove excessive gum tissue
- Creates a more even, symmetrical, and balanced gum line
- Is permanent
- Is safe and effective
- Can enhance the beauty of other dental treatments, such as teeth whitening
Gum Contouring Candidacy
Candidates for gum contouring should be in good oral health. Issues such as gum disease, tooth decay, and other dental problems should be addressed prior to the procedure. Patients should have a full understanding of the gum contouring procedure as well as a commitment to good oral hygiene habits at home and regular dental exams and cleanings once treatment is complete.
Gum contouring is one of the most common cosmetic treatments in dentistry today. Very few corrective procedures can offer such dramatic results.
To make sure you qualify for gum contouring, the dentist will discuss your medical history with you at length during your initial consultation. Since the effects of your gum contouring treatment are permanent, it is important to have clear and accurate expectations of the results. The dental team at Palmetto Family and Cosmetic Dentistry will thoroughly discuss your treatment with you before it is performed.
The Gum Contouring Procedure
Dental advances and technology have improved the way in which gum contouring is performed. At Palmetto Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, your procedure will be completed using our soft tissue laser. This method allows us to perform gum contouring with ease, safety, efficiency, and little to no discomfort. Here are the general steps to this procedure:
- Anesthesia: In order to ensure your comfort and relaxation, local anesthesia will be used to numb your gums and surrounding tissue.
- Gum contouring: We will use our soft tissue laser to eliminate excess gum tissue and reshape the gum line. Sufficient time will be taken to ensure that your gum line is balanced and symmetrical.
- Recovery and healing: Initially following gum contouring, you may experience puffy or swollen gums. These conditions will subside over time. Over-the-counter pain medication can be taken to mitigate any discomfort. You should be able to eat softer foods immediately. We recommend avoiding hard or crunchy foods for the first few days until your comfort level improves. Soft and gentle brushing will keep your gums free of bacteria and debris. Our dental team will provide you with specific directives, ensuring a successful recovery.
Contact Palmetto Family and Cosmetic Dentistry Today
If you are ready to enhance your smile and boost your self-esteem through customized gum contouring, schedule an appointment today to learn more. Connect with us online or call our North Guignard Drive office at 803-773-5411 or our Tahoe Drive office at 803-469-3555.